THE ADDITION OF A DOG TO YOUR FAMILY
A dog is wonderful, loving, entertaining and loyal. Whether he comes with a pedigree or from a pound, a dog is just about the perfect friend. However, he will demand a lot of you, because he relies on you for nearly everything – food, water, shelter, veterinary care, exercise, training, grooming and protection. While it is important that you choose the right dog for your needs, it is equally important to ensure that you can meet his. You need to prepare your home for his arrival, and make him a welcome and well-behaved member of your community. The responsibilities of ownership are great, but the love and friendship you’ll receive are priceless.
Before you run out and purchase or adopt a dog (please consider the latter) especially at Christmas time, please consider the following:
- Family Matters – Single? Married? Children? Existing pets?
- The 10-15 year commitment you are making
- Should you consider a cat?
- Feeding, play, exercise, training, and grooming are all essential needs.
- Financial Burden
- Learn as much as you can about breeds appropriate for you and your family
- Puppy or Older dog
- Ask your shelter to help in selection – They are more than happy to help